Appeal to Scottish Voters on the 18th September
It is good to see prominent English MPs like John Redwood and Peter Bone speaking up recently for the principle of an English Parliament in the event that Scotland votes to stay in the United Kingdom tomorrow.
The 2012 paper “A new Constitution for all of the United Kingdom”, to be found on the Page “Change Concepts” under “British Constitution” on this website, sets out the economic and military realities of the UK and Scotland. Only now in the last possible minutes are the realities being understood by the Cameron government. The SNP and its leader ignore these realities and continue to bamboozle almost half the Scottish electorate with pie-in-the-sky fantasies about what he (Alex Salmond) will arrange for Scotland to have/do post-independence.
The realities would be that post-independence Scotland would:
- not be a part of the United Kingdom for travel purposes;
- not be a member of NATO for its defence;
- not be a member of the EU for single market access;
- not be able to count on the Queen’s being their Head of State;
- not be part of a pound sterling currency union to guarantee its people’s savings;
- not be allowed to carve up Britain’s armed forces, nor the contents of the National Gallery and British Museum in London;
- not be able to force any British citizen, whether of Scottish origin or not, to adopt Scottish citizenship; …[more»]